Suddenly, ActivePresenter consume huge space to record video

Problem: start from a few days ago, it consumed huge space to record the video (Video Codec: Flash Screen Video). Usually, it creates a mkv file of around 1GB for 1hour video, but recently, it creates the mkv file of around 5GB for 1 hour video. I have been keeping updating the software, is it possible that the new version has some bugs?

ActivePresenter version: 8.1.0 -64bit, free version

Notes: video setting: video codec: Flash Screen Video; Frame Rate: 30 frame/s. All others are default. No webcam recording.

Hi,

The Mkv file size depends on the content of the recording video.
ActivePresenter 8 provides you some kinds of video codecs to choose depending on your specified purposes:

• Lossless codec creates videos having quality reserved (Flash Screen Video).
  • Lossy codec creates videos with less file size but not fully reserved quality (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC).

Thus, Flash Screen Video is best suited for recording apps while H.264/MPEG-4 AVC is best suited for
recording video from YouTube for example.

Regards

I tried to record video with the same setting I used before, and it created a 1GB file for a 2 minutes video, repeat several times, same result. apparently something went wrong. I uninstalled it and installed an old 7.5 version, the same result.

Hi,

Can you please share the log and some screenshots for recorded video so we can check? To view the log, click ActivePresenter > Preferences > Miscellaneous > View Log.

Regards,

What programs do you have open or are recording? I havent found a cause, but have noticed my 3 hr adobe connect meetings I record, take about 15-20 gb. Once exported reduce to 3-5.
However, stuff from chrome or zoom calls, they balloon TREMENDOUSLY. Minimum 5x that amount of space per data hour. Couldn’t tell you why.

I’ve given this information to Atomi in the past, my response back was that Active Presenter is not intended for long recordings and so it wasn’t of interest to look into or address.

Hi,

The default codec for recording screen in ActivePresenter is Flash Screen Video.

• This codec works best when recording screen with color blocks which are commonly seen in apps.
  • It works worst (slow, large file size) when recording natural scenes which are commonly seen in videos.

In the worst case, the video size will be:
File size (Byte) = Recording duration (hour) x 3600 x Frame Rate x Recording Width x Recording Height x 3.
For example, for 1 hour recording of a full HD video which has frame rate 30:
File size in byte = 1 x 3600 x 30 x 1920 x1080 x 3 = 671,846,400,000 (bytes) = 671 GB.

So, you should only use this codec for recording apps, for recording video, H264 codec should be used.

Regards.