Software and videos location

Hi,

I have two questions:

• In which folder is the software installed in Windows machines?

• Are screen captures deleted if the project is closed without saving it? Or are the videos stored temporarily somewhere? I’m asking because I’m recording a bunch of videos that I later export the slide as a video but I’m afraid those screen captures are left in some unknown folder, are not deleted after I close the project or software and end eating up a bunch of space in my C:\ drive, so I just wanna be sure how it works.

Cheers,
Ed

Hi Ed,

Thank you for your inquiry about ActivePresenter. We’re glad to assist you with your questions.
Below are the answers to your queries:

• In which folder is the software installed in Windows machines?

You can find where the app is installed here:
C:\Program Files\ATOMI\ActivePresenter

Are screen captures deleted if the project is closed without saving it? Or are the videos stored temporarily somewhere?

There are some cases I would like to let you know:

1. When you capture screen recordings in ActivePresenter, they are indeed stored temporarily within the project file itself. In case you close the project or the software without explicitly saving the project, any unsaved screen captures or video recordings will be lost and you no longer find it anywhere else on your computer.
  2. In case the app crashes while recording/editing, you may find your video/audio in the cached folder (C:\Users\Username\Documents\ActivePresenter\.ActivePresenterCachedProjects)
    If there are video/audio files there, you can copy them to another folder and open them with ActivePresenter for editing.
  3. If you are already saved your project, it will only be stored in the predefined folder. You can right-click on the project name > Open Folder to open the project location.

Hope that it clarifies.
Should you have any further questions or need additional assistance, don’t hesitate to ask.
Regards,
Thuy

Hi Thuy,

Thank you so much for the thorough reply! I do have one more question: you mentioned that when you capture screen recordings, they are stored temporarily within the project file itself - in case I have not created a project file at that point (still showing in the tab as Unknown*), where does it stay stored until I close the app? I don’t want to access the video file later on, only asking so I can make sure I’m keeping my C:\ drive clean!

Cheers,
Ed

Hi Ed,

Before being saved at a specific location, your *Untitled project will be stored in the .ActivePresenterCachedProjects folder in C:\ drive like this:

But, if you close the app without saving that *Untitled project, it will disappear, and your C:\ drive keeps clean.

Thuy

Hi Thuy,

That’s great, thanks again for replying!

Cheers,
Ed

1 Like