Saving data from Saola Animate

As I understood it, javascript itself can not save data on a harddisc or a server. But would it in some other way be possible in Saola Animate to write data to, for example, a database, an XML or an Excel document?

Thanks!

Hi Pim,

You need JavaScript to send data to a server (e.g. by using XMLHttpRequest) , and the script on the server to process the data.
If you don’t have a server, you can create a Google web app as guided in this tutorial: https://atomisystems.com/elearning/send-quiz-report-google-sheets-email/
It’s a tutorial for ActivePresenter but you can do the same way to handle data sent from Saola Animate.

Regards

Bright and clear!
Thanks a lot ToanLS:-)

Has anyone had success with this? I’m jumping way ahead experience wise (it is my final goal after i create the learning app for my students). I used to use Northcode and Flash for all this stuff…which are both dead now…ugh. So glad i found Saola. I just need to improve my JS coding.

I would be happy to just send data from two Saola text boxes to the the google spreadsheet. Update: found a video that shows how to use Google App script to do this. I also learned more about placing the data in the spreadsheet. I just don’t know how to send it there from Saola Animate. Does doGet() work?
This is from google app script:

function doGet(e) {

return HtmlService.createHtmlOutputFromFile(“page”);
}

function userClicked(name){
var url = “https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1…#gid=0”;
var ss = SpreadsheetApp.openByUrl(url);
var ws = ss.getSheetByName(“Data”);
ws.appendRow([name]);
}

I do not expect help for this, not a support question at all. However, if anyone is bored and could show an example of the code i would put in the Javascript editor of Saola Animate to get the data stored in textBox_1 and TextBox_2 (i did learn about localStorage.getItem and JSON parse too) . I think it has to be a JSON parse/stringfy. I have watched many videos and read sites. Most talk about html forms.

Thanks in advance. Again, I am not expecting anyone to reply. I should not be asking. Just taking a chance that someone might like to share. I have learned so much from ppl who reply back on so many forums like this etc. .