Record as mp3 instead of wav

Hi,

When I record audio, it is recorded as a wav file. This usually makes the project file huge. I have been exporting the audio as mp3 and then re-importing it as mp3 and then deleting the old wave file. This significanlty helps with reducing the file size. I have managed to reduce a project from 200MB down to 30MB. But I wonder if there is a way to directly record from the microphone to mp3 instead of wav. Is there?

Hi ARaza,

Before recording, please click the Settings icon (at the top-right corner) of the Record Video Project dialog > select Recording Settings > Audio & Video tab > Audio Settings section > select MP3 from the Audio Codec list:

Regards,
Yen

Hi Yen,

Thanks for the update. I tried this today. But it only works in the case of an audio being recorded as part of a video capture. If I have a slide with animations and I want a voice over audio narration, it still comes up as MP3. Is there a solution for that. I do not record videos, but it is good to know that the audio can be set to mp3 for video screen captures.

Regards
Ali

Hi Ali,

Thanks for getting back to me!
Unfortunately, the Record Narration feature only supports wav. audio file format.
If you want to convert them to mp3, the workaround you described above is the best way.

Regards,
Yen

Ok. Great. Could we have this in a future release maybe.

Hi Ali,

We don’t have a plan to implement this feature. For your information, MP3 is a lossy audio compression format. Meanwhile, WAV is a lossless one. The quality of WAV format is better than MP3’s. That’s why its file size are larger.

Regards,
Yen