How to create a slider

Hi there,

does anyone perhaps know how to create a (no code) slider function with AP? Some other authoring tools have prebuilt sliders in their system.

I have attempted to recreate this using Drag & Drop, but am not successful.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Sheree,

Unfortunately, it is impossible to do that without using code.
We are currently working on this feature. Hopefully, it will be available after few months.

Regards,

1 Like

Hey Dao,

any update on this subject? :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

We plan to release the version 9 in Q1 2022 which includes this feature.

Regards,

1 Like

Hi Dao

A slider function would be wonderful. Any news?

Iā€™ve got a few projects that sliders would be great for. Iā€™m not hassling, just trying to work out whether I need to dream up some other way of doing them or, if it is really coming soon-ish, whether I pend them for a bit to see if you launch this and then Iā€™d have something to play with straight awayā€¦
Thereā€™s a mention of version 9 in this threadā€¦?
Thanks

Hi Sarie,

We are trying to make it available in the next month or so. Can you please describe your use case in more detail so we can make appropriate improvements if needed?

Regards,

Hi Dao, that would be really great.

There are lots of use cases. Often sliders are used when you want a student to step through a sequence of things, to see how something builds up or how it changes.
So it is like dragging a control which changes the state of an object or objects. You could have an image/photo that shows change through the seasons for example.
It is great to be able to customise the ā€˜controlā€™ so to have fun relevant images for the bit the student clicks and drags.
I think your software has all the elements needed, like object states, as this could be done now with sets of buttons or tabs, but sliders make it look simple and user friendly and just altogether slicker.
But I think combining sliders and layers is probably the normal way of achieving this in this type of software.

Combining more than one slider and linking them together can create great results, so if you could allow for that I think some creators would love you for it. Think about a sound mixing desk.
We use sound desk imagery to show a set of interrelated features, and the effect of combining them, when designing complex optical networks. Iā€™d love to make that interactive.

Hereā€™s lots of fun actual examples from other peopleā€¦

Keeping my fingers crossed :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi Sarie,

Thanks very much for your feedback.

I see that you mentioned the Layer feature but in my opinion, it is not much different from object grouping. Can you please also share your experience about this?

Regards,

Layers could give a lot more flexibility than groups I think.
I think your ā€œdifferent timelinesā€ feature is much closer to being like layers, rather than groups, and maybe you could develop that into a layers feature?
But although different timelines is a really good feature, I still seem to end up with messy slides with it. I miss the cleanliness of layers for development. They make editing things so much easier, as you can split things up and build up content.

I guess you can think of layers as just slides on top of slides (rather than one after the other), because you should be able to do anything on a layer that you can do on a slide.
Just like you can have integration or triggers for example between timelines, you should be able to do that between layers and to make them appear/disappear.
Normally youā€™d have a base layer and then other named layers and the base slide would be greyed out when editing a layer so you can still see it to get positioning right. Youā€™d have a panel where youā€™d choose which layer to work on. There could be options for visibility choices like, hide other slide layers, or hide/show specific objects on base layer (like you can in AP now with the ā€˜eyeā€™ in selection pane when editing, but it would do it when published).
You need to be able to control whether a student can interact with the base layer or not. And have an option to hide the layer when the timeline on it finishes. And what happens when it is revisited, whether it resets.

Without layers, then to build up something which looks like one slide, Iā€™ve ended up copying parts of the slides onto the next one, and one after etc. and then if you change something it messes everything up and things jump about. But Iā€™m very much still learning AP!! so maybe there is a better way I havenā€™t found yet.

I think your timelines feature and your feedback slides need to meet up and have babies, called layers :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi Sarie,

Thank you for taking your time to write such long feedback.
We can not make sure these features will be available soon but it really helps us a lot in further development.

Regards,