Problem: I hosting my html 5 file with GoDaddy and the files are having trouble playing the audio files consistently. I have created drag and drop containers to have a correct message and a audio file to play when the students are correct. what frequently happens is the message will appear, but so will a blue wheel and the audio clip does not play. The link below is an example. If you need the help the answer to slide 3 in descending order is (Density, magnetism, conductivity, solubility).
We have tested your content on several browsers and seen that it works. Can you please let us know the detailed information about your environment (browser, OS, 32-bit or 64-bit, device,…).
This is an example of what I’m seeing. When the drag and drop function is done correctly a song should play.
For some reason I am getting a blue wheel, but when I click on a different page and then click back and hit submit the song plays.
I have actually been testing it with other browsers and am not getting the same result. Is there a setting in chrome I need to change to fix this issue?
We have tested your content with Chrome on our computers and it works fine. It may only happen on a specific PC. Can you please try resetting Chrome (https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en) to see if it can help.
Works perfectly for me as well. So it must be your environment.
Good luck on your project.
We recently gave a demo version of our product out and our customers are saying that it is taking a very long time to load on their Chromebooks. Would there be any reason having multiple people logging in at the same time affect the speed that it loads?
This depends greatly on the speed of network connection and the content. I see that in slide 5 you have used two large pictures (cat and mountain). Please re-scale them to a small size to see if it can resolve the issue or not. You can do this inside ActivePresenter by right-clicking the image and select Edit Image…, then select the Scale Image tool in the third group in the DRAWING tab. The rescaled size should approximately equal the size that you use in your project.
Please try slides 6-11 in google chrome from the attached link. I have been able to replicate the issue frequently.
Now I can reproduce the issue with your link sometimes. If possible, please provide the original project (approj file) so we can analyze further. You can email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The problem was fixed but for some reason I am seeing it reoccur with some new files I have uploaded. They were all exported under version 6.1.4. Here is a link where it is happening
Can you please let us know in which slides the issue happens? It is not easy for me to answer all questions correctly so it’s hard to reproduce the issue.
It’s not a specific slide that it happens on. It is more random when it happens, but the more slides that are attempted, the more common it is. It usually doesn’t happen when attempting just one slide.
Here is an answer key with corresponding slides
Slide 6- revolution
Slide 8-The earth is rotating
Slide 9- at noon
I believe I may have discovered a fix. Earlier you sent me a rlplayer file update to use. I made sure to upload that file into my hosting for each module and I believe that did the trick. I recently downloaded ActivePresenter 7, but was too unfamiliar with it and just need to finish a project, so I reverted back to 6.1.4. I believe that doing this may have changed by export settings.
We are glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Please let us know if you have other questions.