Create pop-up box on hover over text

In Active Presenter 9.1.3 I’m looking to create a pop-up box when a user hovers over certain text. For example, if I say “PowerShell was invented by Jeffrey Snover” and the user hovers over the words Jeffrey Snover I want a box to pup up with a statement about who Snover is.

Any ideas?

Hi,

It is very simple to archive that in ActivePresenter. Please follow the instructions below:

• Add the box and fill in the information (Insert tab > Shape > customize its appearance through the Properties pane or the Format tab). See details here: How to Add and Customize Shapes in ActivePresenter 9
  • Right-click the box > Initially Hidden
  • Add your desired text (Insert tab > Text Caption) > navigate to the Properties pane > Interactivity tab > Event - Action section to add interactivity to it.

I also attached the sample project for your reference
Rollover-object.approj (284 KB)

Hope it helps.
Regards,
Thuy

Exactly what I was looking for - Thank you. I missed the concept of having to put the prompting text in a Text Caption.

I also added a Rollout trigger. One thing I noticed is that when the user hovers and the box appears, it soon turns itself back off, and doesn’t stay around as long as the user is hovered over it. If the user hasn’t finished reading the content, he or she must hover back over it again. Can you force the box to stay on?

Another issue I just ran into is that some of the prompt text may break at the end of a line and the Text Caption box does not allow for responsive design of the text on the page.

One thing I noticed is that when the user hovers and the box appears, it soon turns itself back off, and doesn’t stay around as long as the user is hovered over it.

No, the box still appears until you move the mouse cursor out of the target text. Remember to deselect the Hide After checkbox here.

Another issue I just ran into is that some of the prompt text may break at the end of a line and the Text Caption box does not allow for responsive design of the text on the page.

Could you describe this issue in more detail with a screenshot or illustration video so we can understand it better? Or, you can send us a sample project if necessary.

Regards,

You hit the nail on the head with the “Hide after” setting. That’s what I was missing.

To expand on the other issue, consider the attached slide. The text I wish to use to prompt the pop-up extends over two lines. In this example, I have the last part (GUI) in a text caption box, but not the rest. But If I put the whole thing in one box and the user views this on a smaller screen wouldn’t it throw off flow of text? Suppose the text breaks after the first word rather than before the word GUI. I would prefer if the text could act like a link rather than a text box and still trigger the pop-up.
PowerShell demo.approj (2.2 MB)

Thank you for attaching the sample project.
We’ll check it and getting back to you, @rzjunction :slight_smile:

But If I put the whole thing in one box and the user views this on a smaller screen wouldn’t it throw off flow of text?

I am not sure if I understand your point correctly, but the output of a non-responsive (normal) project can work on any device thanks to the AutoFit feature.

After checking your project, I see that the text (GUI) overlaps the text like. You can fix it by placing the mouse cursor in front of the word “like” > deleting all the space between "like and “Interface” > pressing Enter > pressing Space many times to make a blank space for the (GUI) object.
See my fixed project below for more details:
PowerShell demo-fixed.approj (2.2 MB)

If it’s not what you want, please give us a screenshot of your issue so we can recognize it easier.

1 Like