Advanced Actions

Good evening, all :slight_smile:

I have a few questions regarding advanced actions. I’m using them here for the first time in Active Presenter and I seem to be misunderstanding how to create and use them. I have a couple of issues (for now!) that I just don’t quite get.

My first issue is this:

Here is my advanced action. When someone fails to click on the Mouse Click target, a fail sound plays, an incorrect message shows, one slide object is shown and two slide objects are hidden. It seems to work fine on one slide.

However, you can see that it says Incorrect Message Slide 5 or example. When I use the advanced action for Slide 6, and then change all of the actions, they also change for action I’d created for the previous slide (e.g., Incorrect message Slide 5 changes to Incorrect Message Slide 6). Does that mean that I have to duplicate the action for each slide (e.g., adv_incorrectmouseclick_slide5, adv_incorrectmouseclick_slide6, etc.)?

My second issue is that I don’t quite understand how/why/when to tick the Param box. When I am trying to set the Play Audio action for example, if I don’t click the Param box I am able to put the audio in, but as soon as I click the Param box the audio option is gone and nothing is there to play:

I’m sure there is plenty I’m doing wrong; I’ve seen the videos and read the articles but I still don’t get how to do this.

Can anyone offer any guidance here? TIA

samamara

Hi @samamara,

Advanced actions is used as a general action template that can be employed repeatedly for similar actions by adjusting the parameters within it.

The first issue arises when directly adding objects to the advanced action (AA). Since AAs function as general action templates, it’s essential to assign parameters rather than specific objects. Later, when implementing the AA within a specific slide event, these parameters can be replaced with precise objects.

In this case, you need to use parameters here. For example:

And consider the Blocking option as well. Enabling Blocking means that subsequent actions won’t initiate until the current one, marked with Blocking, completes.

When using the Play Audio action, enabling the Param option enables the assignment of any desired audio object. If a single audio sound is intended for all slides, the audio object can be directly added instead of using a parameter.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

1 Like

Thank you so much @Hang for answering this for me. Your reply makes things a bit clear for me, so let me go back to the drawing board and see if I can make it work. Don’t be surprised if I come back with another question though :wink:.

Thanks again!

samamara

1 Like

Once again, thanks so much @Hang - this is working perfectly now and I believe I understand it much more clearly :slight_smile:

I just have one more question, though it’s related to variables: I have one variable in this lesson, where each time the Submit button is clicked the variable increases by 1, and when that number hits 3, a hint is shown on the screen.

When I add this to the advanced actions, it works great on the first screen but then the second screen the hint is shown as soon as the submit button is clicked one time. Is that because the variable already got to three clicks on the previous screen? If so, does that mean the variable has to be replicated for each slide?

For example, now the variable is called var_showhints with a starting point of 0. In the advanced action, I have it included as you can see here:

Again, it works on the first slide, but when I do it for the next slide, it seems to already be greater than 3 (as the hint box and hint arrow show on the first click). So do I need to make many variables here, such as var_showhints_s1, var_showhints_s2, and so on?

Thanks again for all of your help here!

samamara

@Hang - Further to my previous message, I went ahead and tried making a new variable for a different slide (slide 5 here):

But the problem is that I have it set up in the AA, as you can see, so that the slide objects (hint box and hint arrow) are shown IF var_showhints reaches 3. So even though I can create and select a different variable, the IF in the AA can’t be changed to match the new variable (e.g., var_showhints_s5).

Do you have any guidance or suggestions on what I can do here to make this work? TIA

samamara

What if you reset your variable when you enter the next slide?
Do you have your own navigation? If you have a button to go to the next slide, you might also reset that variable there.

Hi @gregs - thanks for your feedback on this, as always :slight_smile:

There are not buttons to go to the next slide; once the user hits the mouse click correctly the project moves forward.

It could work with what you said first, though. Perhaps for each slide I can reset the variable on load - do you know what command I can use to do that?

Thanks again!

Edit: Maybe On Load, Adjust Variable and subtract 3? What if there were not 3 clicked on the variable? What that be ok?

If you desire to start over… (assuming start at zero)

No need to subtract - just assign to 0
Then it doesn’t matter what the value was initially.
Mathematically - you could multiply by zero for the same effect.

3 Likes

Yes @gregs - a start at zero again is brilliant. It’s exactly what I needed and is working perfectly! Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Sam

1 Like

Thank you @gregs for your enthusiastic support. I’m glad the problem has been resolved, @samamara. Please feel free to ask if you need anything else.

Regards,

1 Like