Send Email action

I have created a button and assigned a Send Email action to it. I then selected “Click to edit” and entered the email address in the text entry box. After exporting the project to HTML5, when I click the button, it attempts to open a web page with the email address appended and gives a File Not Found 404 error. I think there must be an additional configuration step I am missing (to enter a Subject for the email, etc.), but I cannot seem to find the settings dialog–all I get when I select “Click to edit” is a single text entry box. Please advise.

Thank you!
Scott

Hi Scott,

The Send Email action inside ActivePresenter only opens up the email client on viewer’s computer. It cannot automatically send email on its own because sending emails requires a mail server which apparently isn’t available.

Regards,

Thanks so much for the quick response. The problem I am having is that the Send Email action is not opening the default (or any other) email client but is instead attempting to open a web page and is throwing a 404 File Not Found error. So I’m wondering if I have to include “mailto:” before the specified email address or otherwise configure the settings to get it to launch the user’s email client?

Thank you!
Scott

Hi Scott,

That error may be because the default email client on your computer was set to an application which then has been removed. The default email client is still set to that removed application.
You should reset that default app setting for email client.

On Windows 10, go to Settings \ Apps \ Default apps \ Email and select another option from the list.

Regards,

Thanks again. I have tried the button on several machines (2 Windows 7 and 1 Windows 10) and 3 different browsers with the same result. Email links from other web pages work fine and launch Outlook 2016 (the default email client), but the link in my AP project still attempts to open a page in the browser with this appended to the exported project’s web address [blah. com]/mailto%3A[name]t%40[domain].com.

Thank you!
Scott

Hi Scott,

It might be a bug of the Send Email action. Please use the Execute JavaScript action instead, for example:

window.open('mailto:address@domain', '_blank');

We’re sorry for this inconvenience. We’ll check and fix it in the next update.

Regards

Thank you very much. Using JS did launch the default email client (Outlook desktop) autopopulated with the mailto address as well as a blank untitled web page. This will certainly do. As always, thanks to your team for providing the best customer support I know of.

Cheers!
Scott

Hi Scott,

Just want to let you know that this issue has been fixed in the latest version 7.2.3.

Regards,

That is excellent news. Thank you very much.
Scott

Hi,
I got different issue with this feature. It opens new tab which is completely white. Nothing there. Blank.

cheers
Tomasz

Hi Tomasz,

Please check if the default app for email is set correctly in Settings > Apps > Default Apps:

Regards

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I didn’t know that mail feature depends on the system settings. It works the same way with the mobile devices?

best regards
Tomasz

Hi Tomasz,

The Send Email action only opens up the email client on the viewer’s device. The HTML5 player uses client-side JavaScript so it cannot send an email automatically.
It works the same way with the mobile devices.

Regards