None of the menus work

Hi,

I just downloaded Saola Animate. So, I choose to create a new project. I draw a square, a circle, then I try to choose one one of the menus at the top: File, Edit, Scene, Element… none of them works.

I’m running Windows 10 with 26 gigs of Ram, etc.

Hi,
Can you please describe the issue in more details? It’s too vague saying “none of them works” and we have no clues about how that might be.

Best Regards,

Well, when I click on them nothing happens. I don’t get a list of menu items to choose from, they just remain static, as if I hadn’t pressed the button. None of them does anything.

Well, that’s a strange issue as you can still drawing on the Canvas.
Can you please send the log file to our support@atomisystems.com?
The log file is in %AppData%\ATOMI\Saola Animate
Just enter that path into the address bar of Windows Explorer.

Best Regards,

Sure. It’s been sent.

Here´s a copy of it.

2017-07-19T09:15:46 =============== Saola Animate 1.0.1 (Released: 2017.07.11) ===============
2017-07-19T09:15:46 OS: Windows 10 x86_64 (ip)
2017-07-19T09:16:22 Checking updates for version 1.0.1 …
2017-07-19T09:16:23 No updates available.
2017-07-19T09:16:47 Registered new object after initialization, existing clients won’t be notified!
2017-07-19T09:16:48 libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
2017-07-19T09:16:49 libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
2017-07-19T09:16:50 libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
2017-07-19T09:17:17 Registered new object after initialization, existing clients won’t be notified!
2017-07-19T09:18:53 Registered new object after initialization, existing clients won’t be notified!
2017-07-19T09:29:38 Unknown object encountered “slcanvas_1”
2017-07-19T09:29:39 Shutting down Saola Animate

2017-07-19T09:29:43 =============== Saola Animate 1.0.1 (Released: 2017.07.11) ===============
2017-07-19T09:29:43 OS: Windows 10 x86_64 (ip)
2017-07-19T09:29:56 Registered new object after initialization, existing clients won’t be notified!
2017-07-19T09:30:00 Registered new object after initialization, existing clients won’t be notified!
2017-07-19T09:30:43 Checking updates for version 1.0.1 …
2017-07-19T09:30:44 No updates available.
2017-07-19T09:39:46 Shutting down Saola Animate

1 Like

Thank you for the log.
At first glance, Saola Animate wasn’t able to read the OS version number (OS: Windows 10 x86_64 (ip), where ip should be the version number like 10.0.15063). Is there anything special about your Windows 10? This is usually not a problem but it may signify that’s something may be wrong.
The other unusual issue is that it complains about "Unknown object encountered “slcanvas_1"” in which slcanvas_1 is the canvas object of the first opening project.

If you have any firewall (or any other security software) other than the default Windows firewall then please try adding Saola Animate to the exception list to see if it solves. Or you can simply disable that security software for a few minutes for testing.

And if that doesn’t work, please try running Saola Animate with admin privilege and see if it works. To run Saola Animate as admin just right click Saola Animate icon on the desktop and choose Run as administrator.

We’re sorry for the not-so-good experience!
Best Regards,

I changed my real ip for ip for privacy reasons.

My windows 10 is the standard windows 10 that came installed in my DELL computer. Fully registered.

I’ll check my bitsdefender settings, which is the antivirus program I use.

No, it’s not about the IP address. I meant it should be the version number of Windows. I also have no idea why it reads as “ip”. Probably a random text.
Yes, please check Bitdefender settings and see if it works. Or try running as admin.

Best Regards,

No issues with bitdefender, and running as admin makes no difference, same results…

I think this issue is probably specific to your current computer and it’s very hard to sit here and guess what may cause the issue.
We’ve taken note about this issue and will see if we can reproduce or see it again.
Regards,

Hmm… that’s all right, thanks for your time. I know sometimes it can be rather difficult to track down an issue like this.

But I’m a registered user of Active presenter and never had any issues with that program or any other program for that matter.

Animation programs that I use: blender, Anime studio (Moho), Autosketch… all far more resource intensive. Never had any issues.

Cheers.

1 Like

Hello Dangle,

I have the exact same issue. I would like to add that when I try to add a picture or video it takes for ever to open a window to ask where the file is. No access to the menus whatsoever. I just downloaded Saola a few mins ago and it does NOT work as mentioned. I have the exact same Windows config Lake does.

When looking at the answers submitted to this threat, I see it’s really disappointing.

So how am I supposed to test Saola if it does not work in Windows 10 (latest version)?

Please let me know if Saola is still in BETA. If so, I will wait one more year until the solution is stable and worth it a try.

Thanks.

Hello Dangle,

FYI: I gave it another try and tried to install it in a Windows 7 laptop. I got the same bad experience.

Hi Javier,

Do you have any security software installed on both machines?
If yes, would you mind turning it off temporarily for a few minutes and run Saola Animate again to see if the issues happens?

And please also try adding Saola Animate to the Windows Firewall using below commands:

netsh.exe advfirewall firewall add allowedprogram name="Saola Animate" program="C:\Program Files\ATOMI\Saola\Saola.exe" mode=ENABLE scope=ALL profile=all
netsh.exe advfirewall firewall add rule name="Saola Animate" program="C:\Program Files\ATOMI\Saola\Saola.exe" dir=in enable=yes profile=any action=allow
netsh.exe advfirewall firewall add rule name="Saola Animate" program="C:\Program Files\ATOMI\Saola\Saola.exe" dir=out enable=yes profile=any action=allow

Our team has been using Saola Animate extensively for creating sample animations (some of them were included in the installation of Saola Animate, and the animation used in Saola Animate homepage was created using Saola Animate too) and has never have similar problems.
So to be honest, we have no clues about what might cause the issues.
I just guess it has something to do with security programs because Saola Animate opens a port to maintain the connection between the editor and the animation preview which may fails and probably causes the issue.

Best Regards,
Dang.

Hi Dang,

I did exactly what you requested to try. The Security Software is “Windows Defender Security Center”. I turned it off completely and rebooted my computer; then I re-installed Saola Animate. Once installed, I ran the commands you indicated. Open Saola Animate and; voila! ; it works now. I can start testing it immediately.

Just to make sure it works 100%; I set the security settings back to normal, rebooted the computer again and tested it. It works perfectly.

Thanks a lot for your help. Hope this will help others figure it out.

Javier

1 Like

Dang,

Unfortunately, I was able to open the application twice and then it stopped working. I tried over three more times to reproduce the steps that made it work initially with no luck afterwards (I uninstalled it three times). I repeated the exact same steps I did earlier, but Saola Animate was not able to work any more.

This is the very first time ever I see this behavior in a application in Windows. It seems to be a problem with permissions, but at the same time, it seems to be a real weird one, not easy to detect. I tried the same steps in a Windows 7 machine. I got the same exact experience. It does not work.

Hopefully your team will find it out, as Saola Animate seems to be a promising solution.

Thanks.

Javier

UPDATE: I tried to do the same in two different computers with Windows 10 (not the very latest version). Saola Animate does NOT work.

Suggestion: please find out the root cause of this and help users interested in SA to have a better experience.

I cannot believe that just a few guys have been trying to install it in Windows 10.

Thanks

Hi Javier,
Thank you very much for the updates. It may help us in figuring out the root cause.
The main problem is that we still couldn’t reproduce this issue on our machines, most of us are using Windows 10 (and there were thousands of installation recently), some are using Windows 8.1 and didn’t have such issue yet. We’ve also tried on Windows 7 virtual machine with Bitdefender installed but still no issues.
I just wish it happens on one of our machines so that we can debug and test it ourselves without having to waste time of users like you.

Anyway, we’ll keep trying with our guesses and will update it here.

Best Regards,
Dang.

yes it happened to me too…
all you just have to do is, resize the window on the control box and hover your mouse at the menus and it will drop down, then you can resize to full screen again.

I noticed that when saola animate is on full screen in windows 10 the menus are deactivated but when you resize by clicking the maximize-restore button on the control box where you find the close button then the application will be resized, when its resized and you click on the menus then it will work… very easy…

but note if u go back to the full screen it won’t work too, even importing of images have to go through the same process too.

1 Like

I noticed that when saola animate is on full screen in windows 10 the menus are deactivated but when you resize by clicking the maximize-restore button on the control box where you find the close button then the application will be resized, when its resized and you click on the menus then it will work… very easy…
but note if u go back to the full screen it won’t work too, even importing of images have to go through the same process too.