Issues with ActivePresenter 7.5.15 after installation of 8.3.0

Issues with ActivePresenter 7.5.1 after installation of 8.3.0.

Cannot create directories.

2021-01-04 16:01:35: Directory ‘C:\Users\raksm\Documents\ActivePresenter.ActivePresenterCachedProjects’ couldn’t be created (error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.)
2021-01-04 16:01:35: Could not create project file with specified name: C:\Users\raksm\Documents\ActivePresenter.ActivePresenterCachedProjects\Untitled

Also, other issue is with launching:

2021-01-04 16:13:05: File ‘C:\Users\raksm\Documents\ActivePresenter Templates\Default.apobject’ couldn’t be removed (error 5: Access is denied.)
2021-01-04 16:13:05: Could not create default object templates

Regards,
Rakesh

Hi Rakesh,

ActivePresenter doesn’t support installing/running two versions on the same machine. If you still need to do that, please try:

• Close ActivePresenter.
  • Deleting the folder at C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\ActivePresenter
  • Deleting the folder at C:\Users\<your_user_name>\Documents\ActivePresenter Templates (please backup your templates if any).

Regards,

Followed your steps and found this error:. Cannot install AP now. It’s in inconsistent state and unusable.

00:16:42: Directory ‘C:\Users\raksm\Documents\ActivePresenter’ couldn’t be created (error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.)
00:16:42: Directory ‘C:\Users\raksm\Documents\ActivePresenter’ couldn’t be created (error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.)
00:16:42: Directory ‘C:\Users\raksm\Documents\ActivePresenter Templates’ couldn’t be created (error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.)

ActivePresenterIssue-1

ActivePresenterIssue-2

Installed 7.5.15 after following your steps and then this error is seen when I click on record button to start capturing screen

Regards,

On a clean installation using the same user who has admin rights, it is unable to create directory when recording a screen.

It is unable to create a directory named Untitled in cached projects area. Although it could create the hidden folder (C:\Users\raksm\Documents\ActivePresenter.ActivePresenterCachedProjects).

STRANGE!!!

Regards,
Rakesh

Hi Rakesh,

This is a known issue when running ActivePresenter on some specific computers (maybe after a Windows update). Please take a look at the last comments in this thread to see if they help: Could not create default object templates Activepresenter Error - ActivePresenter / Support Questions - ATOMI Community (atomisystems.com)

Regards,

Thanks @phuongdv. I figured exactly the same myself while playing around with the software (I’m into software testing BTW and also develop software).

Now, there is another issue w.r.t. how efficiently AP uses disk space and it looks like it is very very inefficient.

For instance. if I have a mkv and wave file and I open them from some folder, AP first copies them under the hidden folder with “Untitled*” folder names and then when I save them as project it then creates a PROJECT_NAME_files folder and copies it there.

This works with small projects and when we have more than 2x the space of project. However, this is totally stupidity to use 2x space for work. AP needs to be efficient.

What should AP do:
When saving the project, it should “move” the resource files to this PROJECT_NAME_files folder instead of “copying” and “deleting” cached resources. So it can use 1x space.

Developers at AP need to think out of the box and Testers at AP need to cover more scenarios be creative!!!

Hi Rakesh,

Thanks for your feedback.

Actually, ActivePresenter already does this. When saving a temporary project, it will try to move resources files first. If this process failed, it will copy files instead. It seems ActivePresenter doesn’t have permission to write (including rename) into the Documents folder and its sub-folders but I am not sure why the problem only happens on some few computers.

Regards,

AP is installed and running from within the same user. Not sure why permissions are posing a blocker.