Interactive PDF

Hi,

Currently, PDF generation is limited to page content directly taken as an image.

It will be great if text comes as text in PDF as it is more usable and searchable.

Also, for a design where popup boxes are used, currently popup boxes get overlapped on each other as popup boxes are quite big in size and content. because of popup, text behind it gets hidden.
Example: I have 3 buttons on screen and 3 popups having text content. On each button click, relevant popup opens. When converted to PDF, content in all three popups is shown overlapping each other. It hides main body text on page too.

The purpose of PDF is served only when it is interactive enough and text is searchable. May be three popups text should be placed one below the other or something automatically. a PDF friendly checkbox can be provided in properties window for each object such as text, shape, flex etc.

Customer wants HTML and PDF both outputs and I’m stuck. PPT and Word seem to be better than current PDF, but cannot manually convert to PDF.

Is there any workaround to this? how can we make PDF output usable? Is there any JavaScript code or something we should use?

Hi Shri,

You can try this workaround:

Firstly, please export your project to Microsoft Word document.
Then, use the Microsoft Word to convert the document to PDF.

You can refer to this link to know how to convert word to pdf:

Regards,
Yen

Thanks for prompt response.

Actually, overlapping text is a problem. Word converts it quite well actually. Please refer to the attached screenshot. These are 3 text boxes overlapping each other. Normally, when HTML is used, only one is loaded by default and others initially hidden. on click to relevant buttons, respective text gets displayed.

Would be great if you could provide a workaround for this. Thanks!

Hi Shri,

The interactivity is only supported in HTML5 output.
PDF is a kind of normal document, therefore, the interactive features are not supported.
So, I’m afraid that there is no way in this case.

Regards,
Yen

Regards,
Yen

Hi Yen,

No problem. Can you take it up as a feature request please. It will be really helpful. It will also cover Technical documentation side using same product.

Thanks,
Shri

Hi Shri,

Interactive PDF is not widely used and supporting it takes quite a lot of time so we don’t have the plan for it yet. We will consider it later if there are more requests from users.

Regards,

PDF conversion2.approj (456 KB)
Hi,

Sorry for asking too much about the interactive PDF but I want to explore possibility as we need to design whether AP to be used or not. HTML and PDF both outputs needed and PDF should have at least medium level interactivity.

Through MS-Word output, I could get nice ToC which is great. What I just need now is if you can help with a solution where Click here link on slide 1 works in MS-Word. Please refer to attachment. When I click on Click here in word output, it should take me to the next slide. I’m happy if this is achieved.

Also, if you can help while hyperlinking within the document, if I can sort of use JavaScript or certain tags to slide or show/hide, I can use them. They should work in MS-Word or even PPT is okay.

Thanks!
Shri

Hi Shri,

Can you please let us know details about your use case? If you are going to deliver content via web, the HTML5 output should be used. If you want to create interactive documents, you can use Microsoft Office directly without using ActivePresenter. Or, just use ActivePresenter for recording purpose, then export the recorded content to Office outputs for further editing.

Regards,

Hi,

The case is we spent months on developing a 300+ slide document using AP. Initially, the output required was supposed to be only HTML5. But now, some customers are demanding for PDFs too.

I’m personally very comfortable with AP and really don’t want to switch as interactivity applied here gets compromised. So, seeking a solution where I can probably tweak AP slides a bit and still take output as Word/PPT and then convert to PDF which is quite interactive.

Please let me know if any information required.

Thanks and regards,
Shri

Thanks for your information.

I think the best way is exporting AP projects to PPT, then make further editing (for example, select an object, then select Insert > Action > Hyperlink to), and convert it to PDF. There are many limitations with interactive PDF since, you may already know, that Adobe focused on Flash technology which is now obsolete. I guess they won’t do a same thing again with PDF.

Regards,