Bug: Program Crashes due to Long Filenames when Exporting

Problem: While there is no problem saving projects using longer project/file names it’s a problem when trying to Export the projects to MP4 video. Took a while before I realised after that I had some exports working fine and some don’t. Then tried to open the audio and video capture in a new project using default naming (Untitled) and tried the export again - which worked. So there seems to be a limit to how long the filenames can be in the export module. I’ve only tried with mp4. The one of the project that I had issue with had 129 characters filename.

ActivePresenter version: Version 8.5.3 - 64-bit build. (Released: 2021.10.08)

Notes:

Hi Kim,

This issue may cause when the filename is long.
That makes the path to the file is too long and maybe exceeds the Windows limit.
In the Windows API, the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined as 260 characters: Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs
Thus, it locks your project somehow.
Next time, please try to shorten the filename to see if the issue happens or not.

Best regards,
Thuy

I’m within the max path of 260 characters (177 characters) so no issue there and as mentioned I CAN save the project, close it and re-open it without problem. The issue is when exporting the project. Also, in this case the path is actually shorter compared with the project path since project folder always have ‘_files’ added.

So still a bug within the export module; what you suggest is a work around for something that needs to fixed.

Hi Kim,

Thanks for your feedback.

We will display a message which states more clearly when the file name exceeds the Windows limit. It seems there is no better solution for this case.

Regards,