Allow Hide Audio

Hi,

On the Timeline toolbar, there’s an icon that looks like an eye. For Visual Objects, it hides the object.

For Audio objects, as far as I can tell, it doesn’t do anything.

I’d like for it to mute that audio track, but still show the wave.

I have used the Volume control to mute the audio object, but that removes the wave, which makes my task difficult.

I create all of my videos with closed captioning and computer voice. Later, I get audio tracks to replace the computer voice - but they need to be cut, spliced, inserted time, etc. - to match the captions. If the wave is visible, this is very easy… but the current version of software only shows the wave when the audio will be played - which makes the cut, splice, timing, etc. very difficult since I hear both at the same time.

Thanks,

Russell

Hi,

The Eye tool is used for changing visibility of object. That supports editing overlapped objects on Canvas. I’ve checked and seen that it works for audio as intended.
In your case, you can use a trick as following:

• Right click the audio that you don’t want to hear.
  • Select Initially Hidden.

Regards,

Hi Phuongdv,

While I’m not really sure why the eye icon exists - because I’m not understanding what the “visibility of (an audio) object” would be, your suggestion to use “Initially Hidden” works perfectly! :grin:

Does the eye icon actually do anything for audio tracks? Maybe it should be an “ear icon”?

Thanks,

Russell

Hi,

The eye icon is available for any objects. It just allows you to hide objects on Canvas so you can manipulate other objects (especially underlying objects) easier.

Regards,

Hi Phuongdv,

I understand what the eye icon is intended to represent. Since audio is always hidden (not visible), it makes sense to me that maybe it should either silence the audio (and maybe be an ear icon), or not exist at all.

What is intended to happen if I “X the Eye” for an audio?

Thanks,

Russell

Hi Russell,

It is used for editing purpose only, not for representing. For example, you may want to see the text of underlying object as in below picture:

Then you should X the Eye of the audio object like this:

Regards,